Many of us grew up hearing about Grimm's Fairy Tales, you may have even been someone who read those versions of the tales. If it's been years sense you've heard those stories, then you'll love reacquainting yourself with the characters you met as a child and your children will love meeting them for the first time in this exciting twist to the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. Meet Sabrina and Daphne, two girls who discover they are the decedents of Wilhelm Grimm and the stories they thought were just tales are actually real-life accounts of magical creatures called Everafters. In the town of Ferryport Landing, Everafters began to rebel against humans causing Wilhelm to cast a spell that would prevent them from leaving, but at a steep price. There must always be a Grimm within it's walls forced to stay with the Everafters.
As fairy-tale detectives, the sisters solve mystery after mystery ensuring the peace between humans and Everafters, while trying to solve the biggest mystery of all: the disappearance of their parents. Buckley magically intertwines past fairy tale knowledge throughout the pages of a new tale. Readers can have fun identifying old friends, seeing the new shapes they have formed: Prince Charming as the Mayor, Snow White as a school teacher, the Three Little Pigs as police offers and much more.
Here are some more interesting tidbits:
- Prince Charming is the prince in all of the fairy tales: Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty. But his true love is Snow white and he spends the series trying to win her heart.
- It's not just Grimm's tales within these pages. You also have Alice in Wonderland characters, Puck from a Midsummer Night's Dream, Puss in Boots and more.
- Little Red Riding Hood goes crazy due to the Big Bad Wolf killing her parents.
- The Big Bad Wolf seeks redemption for his crimes by working for the Grimms.
- The magic mirror in the Snow White tale is a the first prototype of many magic mirrors. Each magic mirror has a guardian who inhabits the mirror.
This is just a taste of the treats that awaits you in the series. Buckley's understanding of these tales provides a complete foundation for this series, one that he perfectly builds on, giving us more tales to add to the collection.